31 Days of Homemade, Day 28
Day 28: Natural Homemade Sunscreen
This is one I've always wanted to try. So I haven't actually made this yet. I'm frugal and am using up all the sunscreen we currently have on hand. This does have a short shelf life (about 6 months) so I don't want to make it up, until I'm ready to use it.
Recipe for Homemade Natural Sunscreen:
- 1/2 cup almond or olive oil (can infuse with herbs first if desired)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (natural SPF 4)
- 1/4 cup beeswax
- 2 Tablespoons Zinc Oxide (This is a non-nano version that won’t be absorbed into the skin. Be careful not to inhale the powder). This makes a natural SPF of 20+ or more can be added.)
- Optional: 1 teaspoon Vitamin E oil
- Optional: 2 tablespoons Shea Butter (natural SPF 4-5)
- Optional: Essential Oils, Vanilla Extract or other natural extracts to suit your preference
Or an even faster way to make this is to just add 2 TBS of Zinc Oxide to your favorite lotion. Mix well, and there you go, instant sunscreen. (I'm going to try this soon!)
I got this recipe from wellnessmama.com her site is full of really amazing homemade recipes. I did include affiliate links, but I have used and love the products I linked to.