31 Days of Preparing for Baby, Day 7
Day 7: Doulas
You might not have thought about getting a doula, but they are worth every penny! Here's why:
- They are usually moms who have giving birth, and helped many women give birth. It is so comforting to know that there will be someone in the room who has gone through what you are going through.
- Their kind support actually helps with pain management. The main reason we got a doula was for the statistics. If you get a doula you are more likely to have a natural birth.
- Another reason, is they help the father-to-be! At first my husband wasn't excited about having someone else in the room for the birth. He wanted it to be just us (well us, a doctor, and nurses...I think there were 5 people in the room not including us). But he was so glad she was there. She got me water, while he held me in the shower. She stayed with me while I got stitches, and he could focus 100% on our baby girl. She also helped take pictures, as we had left ours in the car.
- They remember things you forget. I was so excited after the birth, that I wasn't even thinking about food. It was our doula that reminded us to get me something to eat! It would have been a long night for me without this reminder.
- Doulas offer support before, during and after the birth. I loved having her visit after my daughter was born. It's really nice to have someone tell you that you are doing a great job. She was very supportive and reassuring.
I know this isn't an exhaustive list, but it's some of the main reasons we recommend getting a doula. If you are thinking about laboring at home, and having as few medical interventions as possible, please look into finding a doula in your area.
(Here is a link to all the posts for 31 Days of Preparing for Baby, the links will become active as the series progresses.)